In movies, everyone is fancy at the casino, dressed in beautiful dresses and designer tuxes. However, this is not what you’ll see in real life. Over the years, casino dress codes have become more relaxed.
It can be hard to decide what to wear when you go to a casino. Are you more casual or formal?
Here’s a guide for stylish casino attire if you are unsure of what to wear.
General Rules of Thumb
It is a good idea to check out the websites of any casinos you plan to visit, as each casino may have its own dress code.
There are some general rules that you need to follow. They will set you up for success, no matter where you are.
You may need to be more formal in certain places, which we will discuss later. However, these rules will help you avoid making major mistakes.
- Flip flops are not recommended
- Avoid wearing sneakers
- Wear clean, not worn-out, or torn clothing
- Casinos are more casual during the day than at night. Once the sun sets, you should wear a button-down or collared shirt (for men) and a blouse (for women)
- To avoid being turned away, check the dress code for lounges and nightclubs before you go
- The nicer the required attire, the more expensive a casino is
The Meanings of Different Dress Codes
You should be able find the dress code for casino tournaments, lounges and exclusive tables on a casino website.
There are two levels of dress codes: “Business casual” and “Black tie optional.” Different clothing is required depending on the level.
If the dress code is…
White tie is the highest degree of formality – you can think of it as a James Bond movie casino. It’s also called “Full Evening Dress” and is quite rare for modern casinos. It’s usually only seen when the casino hosts a very special event such as a high-dollar benefit.
- Black fitted dress coat with tails, and black trousers with a satin stripe
- A white tuxedo with a bib front (stiffened and starched).
- Wing Collars
- Cufflinks and shirt studs
- White vest with white bow tie
- Oxfords in black, with patent leather soles
- Ballgowns and floor-length gowns
- Elegant jewelry
- A clutch bag or a small purse that can be used as a clutch bag
- Optional: Fur wraps and white gloves
The next level of formal dress code is black tie. Although it is more popular than white tie, black tie is still not very common in casinos. This dress code is reserved for special events and VIP lounges, as well as evening events that start after 6 p.m.
- A dinner jacket (a shorter jacket without tails) with matching trousers
- Black is the most common, but you can also go for other colors, such as burgundy and navy blue
- Botton-down collared shirt (typically white)
- Bow tie or tie
- Black formal shoes and socks
- Optional waistcoat/cummerbund
- While floor-length gowns are preferable, but elegant and tasteful cocktail dresses are also acceptable
- Well-cut pantsuits
- Evening heels
- Classic designs and silhouettes rather than trendy styles
- Dark or rich colors
- Simple and clean accessories
Black Tie Optional
Black Tie Optional dress code refers to situations when you should dress as formally as possible, but no more formal than Black Tie. It’s okay to wear a button-down shirt and tie with formal trousers.
We’ll only discuss what sets it apart from Black Tie.
- Darker-colored suits in a greater variety
- A white shirt and tie with no jacket or vest
- Cocktail dresses are accepted more widely if the hemline does not exceed a certain length
- Rich colors, such as black, white metallic, burgundy red, navy, or navy blue
Semi Formal is more casual than Black Tie Optional. Because daytime attire is generally less formal, this is typically reserved for events that take place around noon. This is not a common dress code for casinos.
- You can ditch the tuxedo and choose a more casual suit made of wool or cashmere
- You can skip the tie
- You shouldn’t wear trousers, khakis or jeans
- You can choose a button-down or collared shirt. Polos and t-shirts, however, are too casual.
- Cocktail dresses and shorter dresses are better, especially the Little Black Dress
- A long, elegant skirt with a blouse or other stylish clothing
- You might also consider a wider selection of shoes, such as heels, strappy sandals or flats
- For the evening, stick with dark colors and for the day, choose a lighter shade
Business formal is the type of clothing you would wear to work. If you don’t know what the dress code is at a particular casino, this is a good option. While you may be able incorporate more formal pieces into your look, you will also fit in if the dress code is rather casual.
- Semiformal and business attire for men are almost the same
- Dark suits with light-colored button down shirts
- Ties can be used if desired
- Leather shoes
- Pencil skirts and other conservative-length skirts with stockings/hose are also available
- Loose fitting clothes
- Jackets and blazers
- Simple jewelry
Most people are familiar with business casual. This is the way you dress for holiday parties or white-collar jobs. You don’t want your appearance to be too polished.
- Sport coat or blazer
- Khakis or slacks
- Shirts can be button-down, collared or polo
- Although a tie isn’t usually worn, it can be used in casual business situations
- Khakis, pants and skirt
- No need for a hose or stockings
- Collared blouses, sweaters and regular blouses
- No cleavage, no revealing clothes
- Shoulders covered with a sweater or jacket
This is the lowest level of formality. Casual clothes can be worn every day, provided that they aren’t sweatpants or ripped tee shirts. Even though casual is the lowest level, it doesn’t mean you can just throw on whatever clothes you have. It is important to still look good. You can think of casual wear as something you would wear on your first date.
- No ties
- No suits
- All colors and all patterns are great
- Plain t-shirts* or jeans
- Shorts only during daytime
- Sundresses, skirts, khakis, or jeans
- Shorts only during daytime
- Plain t-shirts* or less formal blouses
*Some casinos prohibit t-shirts, but most allow such casual wear.
Casinos With Known Fashion Codes
The guidelines below will help you determine what to wear to avoid being turned away if you go to one of the following casinos:
This is one of the most renowned casinos in the world – and the most elegant. As such, you can’t even think about wearing shorts or flip-flops, especially if you visit VIP or private rooms, where the dress code is more strictly enforced.
To be on the safe side, go for at least business attire, which would be a jacket, loafers or a nice dress hoes, and a tie for men, and blouse and a pair of slacks or a skirt for women.
A tie and a jacket for men are required after 8pm.
The Venetian Macao is the largest casino in the world. There are strict rules that prohibit you from wearing the following:
The Venetian Macao requires at least the Business Casual outfits. Acceptable attire includes khakis, collared shirts or even polo shirts. For evening wear, you should choose something more formal like trousers and a button-down shirt. Women can also wear elegant dresses or skirts that are the right length.
The dress code requirements for the Casino Baden Baden-Baden will vary depending on games you are planning to play.
Men will need a jacket and/or a tie if they want to play classic table games like blackjack or roulette. Women should dress comfortably but not too casual if they will be playing poker, blackjack, and roulette.
The overall dress code is somewhere in between Business Formal and Black Tie Optional. While ties are mandatory, you can choose to wear a color and show your personality. For women, dresses, skirts or well-cut suits should be worn with evening shoes.
You can rent a jacket or tie at the casino if you don’t have one.
Borgata Atlantic City
Although the Borgata casino doesn’t enforce any dress code, they encourage good attire. However, to visit in-casino amenities like restaurants, you will be required to leave your jeans and sneakers at home.
In general, the Borgata casino goes for Business Casual or Business Formal. You will feel comfortable wearing slacks and button-down shirts, appropriate length skirts, loafers, and heels.
If you’re not able to follow these guidelines, visit the Borgata in the morning or early afternoon when it is more casual.
ARIA is a resort and casino with higher standards in Las Vegas. The casino floor has no rules, but flip-flops should be avoided. Men must wear coats if they plan to visit a restaurant. Women should match the look with a cocktail dress, or a blouse and slacks.
It is important to follow all business attire guidelines in order to ensure you get the best experience possible. If you do decide to go to one of the restaurants, or attend a show, it will ensure that you are not turned away.
The Ritz Club
The Ritz Club is located in the London’s old ballroom and is the synonym of luxury. Its reputation and exclusivity means that it is more formal than many other casinos in terms of dress code.
A jacket and collared shirt are required for men. Sneakers are strictly prohibited. Women should go for a cocktail dress or a blouse with slacks.
The casino you visit, the time of the day, and the kind of casino experience you are looking for will determine what you wear. If you are visiting VIP lounges or private rooms, it is important to follow a strict dress code. Casinos allow visitors to wear whatever they like, provided that their clothes are not dirty or too worn-out.